Thursday 23 August 2012

The International Space Station


Standing in my Backyard watching the ISS pass overhead
(Thanks to NASA for the base photo from the ISS)
 As an avid stargazer, I'm used to watching satellites and pieces of space junk move slowly across the night sky.  I was however, taken aback in July, when I saw the International Space Station pass slowly overhead. It was so bright! Brighter than Venus and moving quite slowly.  It took me a moment to realise what it was and that I wasn't in any imminent danger of being abducted by little green men, intelligent insects or multi-limbed cephlapods wanting to carry out  invasive medical experiments upon my ageing ape-like body.

If you haven't seen the ISS from your back yard, it is well worth the effort of finding out when it can be seen from your town or city. For more information go to http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment