Saturday 26 January 2013

Jupiter and Mars - Little and Large Worlds Apart


Jupiter with the Great Red Spot on the western limb
with moons Europa an Io
Probably my best image of Jupiter to date.  I've also improved my use of Registax Software which has enabled me to create a sharper final image.  I've applied a similar sharpening approach to my old image of Mars.

Mars

Mars is a small planet whilst Jupiter is the largest in the Solar System.

Mars is a terrestrial planet that has two moons, Phobos and Deimos, which in reality are captured asteroids.  Mars has a mass of 6.4 x 10^23 Kg about 11% of the Earth's mass.

Jupiter is a gas giant planet that has a mass 318 times that of Earth!

The Great Red Spot (GRS) is a long lasting atmospheric storm that can be seen to circle the planet in the southern equatorial belt. The GRS is 10 deg C cooler than the surrounding zone and extends some 8 km above the surrounding clouds. It rotates counter-clockwise like a vortex.

Jupiter and Mars are Solar System neighbours separated only by the asteroid belt, but all in all they are worlds apart!

No comments:

Post a Comment