Wednesday 17 April 2013

The Humble Bivalve (Cockle)



A plate of cockles ready to eat
Now, I really like a plate of cockles.  I've collected them from the mudflats of the Wash at Heacham Beach, I've eaten Stiffkey Blue cockles in North Norfolk,  I've dined on cockles imported from the Nederlands and I've really enjoyed these little bivalves with a pint sitting outside the cockle sheds in Leigh -on- Sea, Essex.

The traditional way to cook and eat them in England is to boil them, let them cool and and then eat them cold with a little salt, pepper and malt vinegar. Exceptionally nice!!! - Even better with a pint of 'your Finest Cask Conditioned Ale'.  If you are feeling bold you might consider having a plate of cockles accompanied by a pickled onion or egg.   I once did and as a result came over very 'Cockerney'  (Faux Cockney).  I even started walking like Dick Van Dyke in 'Mairy Popp-ins'

http://www.whoohoo.co.uk/cockney-translator.asp

Fascinating Fact: 
A 'cockle' is Cockney rhyming slang for ten pounds sterling (£10.00)

You can of course eat cockles hot. In my mind they make better 'Spaghetti Vongole' than clams!

Our supper tonight
Spaghetti Vongole
with 'cockles'


Cockles are no 'flash in the pan' as bivalves are found worldwide and have been around almost unchanged for the better part of 500 million years.

Fossil bivalves from my collection.
I found the Triassic bivalves on a beach in New Zealand
 and the Pliocene bivalves on a beach in Suffolk
Credits: Wikipedia and 'World of Fish' who provided the cockles.

No comments:

Post a Comment