Monday 3 February 2014

Shadow Transit

The end of a shadow transit of the Galilean Moon Europa
2nd of February 2014 approx 23:30
taken from our backyard using QHY5v planetary camera fixed
to Meade 127mm Apo Refractor with 2.5x Barlow lens.
( Stacked using AutoStakkert and finished with APS)

Annotated version
At the weekend, we had a brilliant time with our grandson Felix.  Mmmm, 'chips with mayonnaise' from the noted chip salon on Yarmouth Market and a Felix cooked 'full English' fry-up breakfast! Nice one Felix!

Yesterday, Toot and I took Felix back to his Mum and Dad in Southend.  Consequently, it was quite late before we returned  to our home in Oulton Broad.  Looking on my laptop I noticed that Jupiter's icy moon, Europa, was so aligned that its shadow was visible on the planet's cloud tops.  I had to hurry because the shadow transit was coming to an end as Europa moved in it's orbit around Jupiter. After a lot of scrabbling about in the dark with my laptop, bits of Astro-Kit and an assortment of wires I just managed to capture this image as the shadow was about to leave Jupiter's disc.

Don't you just love celestial mechanics?



Post No 300

No comments:

Post a Comment