Thursday 8 January 2015

Comet Lovejoy C2014/Q2


The Comet as photographed from our backyard at 10.00pm on Tuesday the 6th of January. Used my Canon 600D DSLR fixed to my 127mm Meade Apo-refracting telescope . (Hints of two tails are visible to the left of the comet's head).

The comet is visible from the UK using binoculars and indeed Toot and I together with our friends Sheena and Dick watched it from our backdoor through my 11x80mm binoculars . The comet is visible as a fuzzy blob, above the southern horizon in the constellation Eridanus, which is to the right of Orion.  Comet Lovejoy is rising and moving slowly towards the constellation Taurus. Catch it while you can as it will soon be heading out into deep space.


A short film clip of the comet compiled from time lapse still images I took through my telescope,  showing how far it moved in approximately 8 minutes as viewed through the eyepiece.


Credit: Sky chart Sky and Telescope

No comments:

Post a Comment