Thursday 7 February 2019

Life Class 69


'Life Class 69' - mixed media- 1969 - George Roberts
In 1969 and on Wednesday afternoons I attended life class drawing at the School of Architecture Manchester University. In those days the School of Architecture was housed in a building it shared with the Law Faculty in Moss Side. The academic staff at 'the School' ran the architecture course in the manner of The Bauhaus and considered life drawing an essential component of architecture and an arts and crafts training.

In particular, I liked drawing this model who possessed an 'architectural physique'. In the intervening years I lost track of all my old life drawings from my student days. Whilst sorting out a box of old photographs, I noticed in a frame on the wall of a house long sold, looking down upon my daughter's birthday party, this image. I wonder what the model's name was and if she is still alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment