Sunday 21 January 2024

The Fermi Paradox - a digital collage of my astro-imagery and mark making

 

'The Fermi Paradox and fake views'  - digital collage - January 2024, George Roberts

This piece of work started off  in my head when I read on line that the Royal Academy had made a call for 'entries' for their 2024 Summer Exhibition. The theme for this year is "to explore the idea of making space, whether giving space or taking space. This can be interpreted in various ways: to make space can mean openness – making space for something or someone, also making space between things". Clearly the RA were not looking for a "one step for man one giant leap for mankind" sort of thing but hey that's where I like to go. My 'day job' experience of  'Architectural Competitions' might well be summed up by " No one ever won a coconut by observing the rules of competition". So I ploughed on with the ideas whirling in my small brain (or 'filbert' as it's known in the South) mindful that I might buck the RA's rules and astound them with my conceptual insight and brilliance.

So what is the Fermi Paradox? Well the gist of it is: 

  • Space  is mindbogglingly large and contains trillions of galaxies each containing billions of stars and countless more planets, therefore there must be very many many places in the Universe suitable for life to occur and flourish.
  • The Universe is very very old so consequently there has been more than sufficient time for civilisations in multiplicity to advance beyond our comprehension.
  • So if this is the case "Where are they and why haven't we heard from them?"
The bleak answer probably can be surmised from the comments section of all social media platforms where even intelligent folk can vehemently deny demonstrable facts and scientific proofs because they don't conform to their own particular world view. Sadly, this is not a reference to the UFO debate but directly related to the average lemmings liking for dangerous sports and precipitous cliffs.

My collage is all about the experience of  'space, time and light'  which appear to be wrapped up tight and filtered through the optic of a Proscenium Arch. I sometimes wonder if there are audiences on both sides and whether we are all watching the same play?

I shall not be submitting this to the RA as a digital collage would appear to break their rules concerning unique copies. On the plus side I've saved myself the £40 entrance fee and still had the fun of making the marks. I have some board, glue, a photocopier and  a ink jet printer, so will probably convert the digital into the real sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment