Wednesday 9 March 2011

Clear Nights in Lowestoft

Central portion of the Beehive Cluster
Part of the Pleiades Cluster
After many overcast nights, the sky cleared and the stars shone. So I seized the opportunity to view the heavens through my trusty Meade refractor! Given the chance I decided to make my first attempts at photographing stars through my telescope. Focussing was more difficult than I thought and the rate of the earth's spin tended to blur and render stellar points of light as small ovals. However, without the tracking system engaged, I managed to get snaps of the centre of the Beehive cluster in the constellation of Cancer the Crab and also of part of the Pleiades inTaurus the Bull. Clearly, I have much to learn and the attached photographs are work in progress rather than the finished article.
A real treat was the appearance of the brightest and slowest moving meteor I have ever seen. It was a large silver fireball that moved from south to north across a dark black sky! It passed directly overhead whilst I was setting up my scope. Astronomy rocks!
Toot and I did two hours "Gym and Swim" at Bannatynes and we have had two great lunches out with friends this week. So no artistic action in the Cabine.

No comments:

Post a Comment