Saturday 30 June 2012

Serious Moonlight

Last night's gibbous Moon hiding in the clouds


Last night was not good for  astronomy, too much wind, too much cloud and too much moonlight. It was however wonderful to watch the Moon disappear and reappear amongst the clouds. The lack of street lighting after midnight really enhances the natural beauty of the sky. How sad is it that the people who moan the most about our Council turning off the lights are fast asleep in bed long before the stars are freed from the grip of urban light pollution?
I am very excited as Toot has bought me a new planetary and guide camera, a QHY5v colour camera from 'Modern Astronomy'.  As I am a real 'beginner' at  astro-photography, before I decided to buy a QHY5v, I asked a lot of basic questions and followed a number of relevant threads on 'Stargazer's Lounge'.  Once I decided to go for it, I ordered one over the Internet on a Friday and it was delivered the next day!  Well done and thanks to Bernard at 'Modern Astronomy'.

QHY5V straight from the box


I am hoping to use this camera in combination with my telescopes and Canon DSLR in a number of ways:
1) As a guide camera correcting errors in my telescope mount drive system.
2) As a colour planetary camera to replace my home modded web-cam.
3) As an entry level astro-cam for brighter galaxies and DSOs.
I have spent some of today loading up the camera drivers and relevant software and now I am ready to go, weather and bad-back permitting!

Serious Moonlight collected with my Canon DSLR

David Bowie
'Serious Moonlight'
Tour (Wikipedia)


















With my new camera I shall be hoping to catch some 'serious Moonlight'  and who knows? - perhaps Toot might "put on her red shoes and dance the blues with me"

No comments:

Post a Comment