Sunday 1 July 2012

The Celestial Duck

The view of the Constellation Cygnus
as photographed from our Backyard last night.
(The bright star Deneb is above centre left.)

After the moon began to set in the west, I decided to take some photographs of the Milky Way as it flows through the summer constellation of Cygnus the Swan.

Last night was very clear and after the street lights were extinguished, light pollution was minimal. I set up my Canon DSLR on a fixed tripod, pointed it in the direction of Cygnus and took twenty or so 10 second light exposures at ASA 1600. I also took some dark frames in-order that I could easily remove hot pixels generated by the camera.

Today, I processed the Raw frames, using DeepSkyStacker and Photoshop.

Cygnus (Thanks to Wikipedia)
Toot and I really like summer, and in the Northern Hemisphere, the sight of  Cygnus the Swan flying in the night sky, is as representative of summer as Wimbledon and 'strawberries and cream'.

Take me to your Leda Earthling

" Swans, nice birds but dangerous" Joe Roberts circa 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment