Monday 8 October 2012

Spinal Tap Part 3

Hereward the Wake





This week and subject to the availability of a hospital bed, I shall be appearing in a matinee performance of 'Look back in Anger' at the Orthopedic Operating Theatre, Norwich.  Mine will be a non speaking part mainly because I will be in the arms of Morpheus courtesy of a NHS Anesthetist   My surgeon will be making sculptural changes to my back which I hope will enable me to resume a number of  more  active outdoor hobbies that I have had to temporarily suspend.

Since January, I have been suffering back pain as the result of a herniated lumbar disc and spinal stenosis.

In lumbar stenosis, the spinal nerve roots in the lower back are compressed and this can lead to symptoms of sciatica (tingling, weakness, or numbness that radiates from the low back and into the buttocks and legs).



The probable causes of my Stenosis are:

  • Old damage which occurred in my twenties from playing rugby as a front row forward.
  • Aging
  • Osteoarthritis
  • Vertebrae instability
The surgeon is going to carry out a disc decompression and chip away vertebra bone that is pressing on my spinal chord.  I believe he will use a mallet and chisel, so its just like sculpture really!

I hope to be well and active in the 'Cabine' within a couple of weeks but in the meantime may I wish all blog surfers my best regards!


Credits  for images Wikipedia




No comments:

Post a Comment