Monday 24 December 2012

The Night before Christmas


My Backyard at about 23.00 UT on the 24th December

First cloud free night for some time so decided to get the scope outside in the backyard and do some serious astronomy and astro-photography.

I fix my telescope to the mount, attach my power tank and undertake a three star alignment. Everything is going to plan and definitely all around is a bit 'Silent Night'

One minute its all quiet, the moon is shining and the stars are twinkling.  The next minute all hell breaks loose.

Santa's reindeer have landed on a cloud and have started showering my patio with droppings. The sound of carrots being crunched is almost deafening. No wonder reindeer can navigate in the dark.

Santa is warming his bum on my neighbour's chimney and even from 20 metres his breath smells strongly of sherry and mincemeat. I'm not sure he's in a fit state to drive a sleigh?

About 10.30 pm this great big Robot turns up and tells me his name's Klaatu and that if I don't change my environmentally polluting ways mankind will be eradicated from the face of the Earth.  So, I went indoors and asked Toot to turn the central heating thermostat down a couple of degrees.  I thought he would be pleased but when I told him, he just threw a moody and clammed up.

The fight between the unicorn and the dodo was a bit of a damp squib. The unicorn was far too nice and the dodo just didn't seem to have his heart in it.

Evening ended well though!  I managed to get three or four really good avi-clips of Jupiter and Dr Who turned up to sort out Klaatu.  Not so full of yourself now eh Mr Silver Sulky?

About time for watching the traditional Christmas Eve DVD  'Die Hard'.

 "I'm an exceptional blogger Mr McLane"
  
                                           Yippee ki-ay Mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment