Tuesday 17 January 2017

Venus in the Afternoon

Venus as photographed from our Backyard this afternoon at about 2.30pm using a photo-tripod mounted 90mm. Meade Mak Spotting Scope and a QHY5-11 planetary video camera
Venus is showing about 45% illumination and is waning ie. becoming an ever thinner crescent as its position relative to the sun, which is illuminating the planet and the earth the planet we are viewing it from, changes due to the relative motion of the two planets around the sun.

This afternoon was the first time I've managed to locate, see and film Venus in broad daylight. I spotted it first through my 11x80 mm binoculars but once I knew where to look I could just detect it with the naked eye.

For more information on the planetary orbit of Venus see
https://in-the-sky.org/solarsystem.php?obj=P2

Venus shining brightly over a frozen Oulton Broad - Photographer Anita Roberts I-Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment