Saturday 29 July 2017

S.W.Mobbs - 'Mouth of the River Oulton Broad'


'Mouth of the River - Oulton Broad' - S.W. Mobbs pencil and colour stick on paper - undated but before 1961
Toot and I had our eyes taken by this rather nice painting of the Broad near our home. It was residing in a very tatty frame in the Lowestoft Barnardos Charity Shop. Clearly the artist Mr S. W. Mobbs had received some formal training in graphic art and composition. Whilst I got on with reframing it - Toot did a bit of research on the Internet as to who S. W. Mobbs might be.  Mobbs is a fairly common local name and after Toot's detective work, our best guess is that this tinted drawing is the work of the late Lowestoft Borough Engineer and Architect - Mr. S.W, Mobbs.

Mr Mobbs was quite a polymath being attributed as architect for the old Notley Road Senior School -1934 and the now demolished Sparrows Nest Theatre - 1913.  I believe he also made significant contributions to water resource management and sea defence installations on the Norfolk and Suffolk coasts.

Link:S.W Mobbs

We have one very nice memory of the Sparrow's Nest Theatre. Our youngest son Chrissy performed his first and last 'song' and 'tap' dance routine when 3 years old at this then crumbling venue. The late Mrs. Tindle's Dance Troup - 'Pit-Pat' routine literally brought the house down. Quite humbling to remember that the great Paul Robeson once performed at the Sparrow's Nest Theatre.

As a 'once upon a time' architect myself, I am pleased to give the excellent work of this old time civic engineer and architect a place on a wall in our home and a marker on a blog page.  Keeping names alive is one of the many gifts of the 'Internet' .  Mr. Mobbs was presumably dead before the NET became the library of our lives, hopefully I've done a kind deed of resurrection for his memory.

If anyone knows more about S. W . Mobbs or believes the author of the art work to be someone else please let us know via the comments button.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucy
    I'm very sorry that I did not reply before but I did not see your comments in my blog inbox until New Years Day 2022. It had occurred to me that blog writing is a very public way of having an extended conversation with oneself and consequently rarely expect or for that matter receive feedback. Thank you very much for reading this page. If you would like your grandfather's paint sketch my wife and I would be more than willing to give it to you. Please let me know and Covid permitting we could make appropriate arrangements. Best regards and New Year wishes from George Roberts.

    ReplyDelete