Tuesday 31 July 2012

0 to 60 in less than 6seconds

60 years of my life in less than 6 seconds


When I was a small boy, I used to go to my Nan and Grand-dad's house in Bower Lane, Maidstone, to watch television.   My Mum and Dad didn't have a television, TVs were an expensive luxury in the early1950's.  There were only two channels (broadcasters), The BBC and ITV.  There were no colour broadcasts or colour TVs on which to watch them.   Everything was in black and white!

Much of the programmes (shows) on TV were live and there was no such thing as a programme planner, consequently, if programmes overan, schedules were disrupted. To overcome such problems the BBC commissioned and ran short films which were politely named 'Interludes'.  One of my favourites was a speeded up film of a train journey between London Victoria and Brighton in Sussex. "London to Brighton in 4minutes".  For some unknown reason, this film just popped into my mind. 

To view London to Brighton in 4 minutes follow the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Ll96VNuSc&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Watching this film now, which as a little boy I really looked forward to viewing repeatedly, it is quite mind boggling how naive and basic entertainment was and how media innocent and unsophisticated we all were.

No comments:

Post a Comment