Monday 2 July 2012

"They all float down here Georgie"


"Pennywise and Clown foolish""


Saturn has the lowest bulk density of any of the planets in our Solar System.

Water at 20 deg C has a density of approximately 997kg/m3, Saturn has a density of 680kg/m3.  So if you could find an expanse of water large enough, Saturn would float!  "Don't you just love physics"?

I've spent much of today tidying up my astro-gear, fitting my cameras into a hard-shell padded case and sorting out and filing a number of useful articles from back editions of 'Astronomy Now' and 'Sky at Night' magazines.  Tonight is a complete wash-out, with unbroken cloud cover negating any opportunities for trying out my new astro-camera.  The television tonight is so bad, we are watching 'Drive-ins, Diners and Dives'. ("No offence to my many readers in the USA is intended; but you really shouldn't eat that stuff, so much saturated fat and meat will increase your bulk density"!)

No comments:

Post a Comment