Sunday 21 August 2016

Perseid Straggler

23:45 on the 12th of August 2016 I captured this Perseid just prior to the clouds rolling in from the north-west. I only found this after a long search through over 200 images.
I think this is probably the best image I captured from the 2016 Perseid meteor shower. The meteor has a line of sight proximity to the Andromeda Galaxy, you can just see the blurry disc of Andromeda to the left and above the meteor trail. The Milky Way, centred on the constellation Cygnus, can be seen running across the top right hand corner of the image at about 45 degreees to the horizontal. The brightest star in the image, just above the dark dusty rift that runs through the middle of the Milky Way, is the super giant star Deneb (Alpha Cygnus).

For more information about Deneb follow the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deneb

The small group of stars in the bottom right of the image is the constellation Delphinius - the Dolphin.

My hedge. in the bottom left corner, was illuminated by the moon, which was shining brightly low in the west.

I have decided to turn off my software defined radio telescope, the LVST, on the 25th of August. The LVST has been monitoring the frequency and amplitude of reflected radar signals from meteors falling over the Meditterranean and North Africa. The LVST has been running continuously since the 5th of August. I hope to analyse the signals over the next month and will post my findings soon after.

Credits: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment