Tuesday 9 August 2016

The Summer Milky Way

The Milky Way from Cassiopeia to Cygnus as seen from our backyard. Canon 600D DSLR and Eos 18-85mm lens at F5 and f=18mm. mounted on a Star Adventurer equatorial mount. 90x30 sec lights stacked to create the image.

A different version with the less bright stars reduced and with the brighter stars emphasised. I think I prefer this version. What do you think?
 After looking at various deep sky delights through my 11x80mm Helios binoculars with Anita, Alice, Andy, Pixie and Archie, I set up my small imaging rig to photograph the magnificent Milky Way above our backyard,

What a beautiful night!  We watched the International Space Station pass over our house twice, and Anita and Alice saw a fireball of a Perseid meteor move quite slowly over our neighbourhood. Unfortunately I did not photograph any meteors but I did capture light flaring off one of the Iridium Satellites.

An Iridium Flare
Timelapse - 7 x30 second exposures - capture a passing satellite and Iridium Flare

For more information on Iridium Satellites follow the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellite_constellation

No comments:

Post a Comment