Tuesday 2 August 2016

Venetian Sketches

Santa Maria della Salute and the Grand Canal - July 2016 - George Roberts mixed media
Just got back from a fabulous ten day holiday in Lido di Jesolo. Whilst there, we visited beautiful Venice and I did some sketching. It was very hot but not as busy as at other times when we have been in this wonderful city of canals.

Venice is a fantastic city of colour, light and shadows, an artist's dream subject for sketching and painting. My above effort was put together on my return to the UK, using the following pencil study which I made in Italy last week.

Pencil Study from my sketch book - George Roberts -3 hour study - 4B and 8B graphite sticks on paper
Before attempting the above pencil study, I loosened up with a quick 20 minute sketch of the Rialto Bridge.
Its all about making marks quickly and not necessarily, as it turns out, in the right place!

The Rialto Bridge, Gondola and Gondolier - July 2016 - George Roberts 8B graphite stick on paper.
Thanks Italy and Venice and thanks to all you lovely Italians and Venetians for making our holiday so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment